If you are registered to use the Digimap Ordnance Survey resource at Imperial College, you would have recently received an email from EDINA explaining that you need to check your registration details and to choose (and provide an answer to) a security question. You have been asked to do this because Digimap will be switching off their Athens access after 31 July 2008.
From 1 Aug 2008 you will need to login to Digimap via the UK Federation. You won’t notice any great change in accessing the Digimap resource from 1 Aug since accessing Digimap via the UK Federation is very similar to accessing it via Athens.
But if you have any data saved under your Digimap account (e.g. Carto Bookmarks, MasterMap Downloads) you will need to transfer it over from your Athens account to your UK Federation account before 1 Aug 2008. If you fail to do this, all of your saved data will be lost.
To transfer over any saved data, this is what you do:
1. Login to Digimap via the Athens route: see http://edina.ac.uk/digimap/
2. Once you have logged in, you will be prompted to set up a security question (there are a choice of 4 questions such as ‘What was the name of your first school?’)
3. Logout of Digimap as well as Athens.
3. Re-login to Digimap using the ‘UK Federation’ route: see http://edina.ac.uk/digimap/
4. Answer the security question you set up earlier via Athens.
5. You should then get a message to say that your saved data has been transferred across.
If you have any queries or problems, please let me know and I will do my best to answer them. The following Digimap guidance sheet site is quite useful: